Saturday, February 10, 2007

Wouldn’t It Be Great To Be Gay?

A few years ago I was at Kennedy Town public swimming pool and a young man approached me and we started talking. I don’t remember what he said except that he liked ‘The Rock’ – the wrestling star turned actor. After I finished swimming he followed me to the changing room and asked me for my phone number which I gave to him. When I was in the shower he came into my cubicle and asked me if I wanted some shampoo. This made me think – wouldn’t it be great to be gay? Imagine if you’re in the gym or the public swimming pool and you see a sexy girl; you can just follow her into the changing room and see her naked. After I mused on this, I thought it was sexist somehow that gay people could freely go into changing rooms and watch people they are attracted to get undressed and dressed, so I had the idea that we should designate changing rooms to gays and straights instead of men and women. It made sense at the time, but I was never able to complete the theory with any feasible argument. Either way, it’s a crying shame; but I suppose if one sector of society that has seen so much injustice over the years gets a lucky break every just so often, it can’t be an entirely bad thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.