Sunday, April 06, 2008

I’m having a nightmare

I’m back in Old Lady Manhattan, and the country is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the murder of Dr Martin Luther King Jr, or something. I’m not an expert, but I can clearly see a divide here in New York between the races and what kinds of jobs they hold. If you’re black, you have a simple job without much responsibility and a low salary. If you’re Hispanic you have a more difficult job with more responsibility (but not a very high salary). If you’re white you have a better salary, more authority and less actual work to do. Asians seems to fit into all categories, and I haven’t seen any Native Americans. Anyone who says you’re not privileged to be white in America is either lying to you or themselves. No disrespect to the Reverend, who did more for human progress than most, but something really seems broken here but I don’t think the white people who admire you so much are really trying very hard or really give that much of a fuck.

No comments: