Sunday, February 24, 2008

Welcome to the free world


Me and Baby went to Shenzhen today. I do love China, it’s so free of so many of the useless things my own society has been cultivating over the years. Children hang out together there, like little gangs of little people. I once saw an older child leading a younger child by the hand, and the smaller child fell over. I expected it to start crying. Instead, I witnessed the older child just drag it along the ground till it as able to find it’s feet again, and they continued along their merry way.
I also saw a little boy in a restaurant, whose face was all cut up and who seemed to have a badly cut up foot, all bloody and bandaged around the toes. He was filthy and looked poor in the good-old fashioned sense. To amuse themselves, the restaurant staff tried to stamp on his bad foot, and he danced around trying to avoid what promised to be excruciating pain. They thought it was funny, and he thought it was fun, and I thought, wouldn’t it be nice if I could have fun too.

1 comment:

Whiskeymarie said...

Yeah, I don't know what to say about this except that I get it.