Sunday, February 03, 2008

It’s beginning to look a lot like Chinese New Year

Four days till the start of Chinese New Year. This is the best time of year in Hong Kong, the only time when a real festive spirit hits the nation. As a relative outsider, I like to join in with full gusto. The jaded little me tries to point out this is just a social phenomenon cultivated over the years to provide a welcome annual distraction to the populace. Just like me and my life – I try to pack every type of activity and reward into every single day – work, games, snacks, alcohol, orgasms, drawing, music, gym etc. Each and every day is full of little landmarks that keep me happy in some way or another. When I miss one it just means I get to have it even bigger tomorrow. I have to say, I like existence, it’s quite fun. Is this the path to enlightenment? Everything’s good, but it just doesn’t feel like I imagined nirvana would.

----------

This is me in Kangol cap, scarf and fake fur jacket from South Korea, for the Pony. I haven't drawn myself in weeks - months? It is strange to revert, after drawing other things all this time - the synchronicity becomes derailed momentarily, and things that were separate encounter each other. I like it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I already told you this joke, but I can't resist... It's the Year of the Rat, but I'm still writing the Year of the Pig on my checks! (rimshot, please!)

domboy said...

I liked that joke, its kind of like good old-fashioned nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the portrait, you cozy, decadent diva! It's beautiful just like all the others.

Whiskeymarie said...

I missed the self-portraits. I love the hat.

I always thought that Chinese New Year in Hong Kong would be the best reason for a trip there. Maybe next year...

domboy said...

Thanks Pony, I am excited now.
Yes WM, you should come, this is a great place. New Year is quiet and cold though, and not like HK any other time of the year because of this. Definitely come, and give a few days to wander around mainland China aimlessly - I've been scores of times and each time is an adventure of a lifetime.