Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sick of goodbyes

Baby and I found a baby sparrow on the pavement last week. We brought it home and a week later it died. I feel a little sick with myself; more than a little responsible for taking it away from its nature, no matter how dangerous, and then not taking care of it properly. I still have no idea what happened, but I’m pretty sure it was very healthy until the last day, and it died because of some kind of neglect on my part.
It was a strange feeling, holding it, watching it dying, feeding it sugar water, a kind of helplessness I’m not familiar with – it’s like a panic, but a calm panic. You realize something needs to be done, but it’s too late, and, amazingly, it dies. It seems impossible, something so profound as death can happen so easily.

3 comments:

Splotchy said...

Bummer. One of my saddest childhood memories was seeing a baby robin next to our driveway slowly die.

At least you tried to help. We didn't do anything.

Hey, is this a depressing comment or what? Don't worry, I'll end it with a smiley face.

:)

domboy said...

No worries. I watched a lot of things die in my time :) (I'm laughing as I write this, it's that smiley face)

Shannon Erin said...

It's sad when things we try to care for die. :)