Sunday, May 20, 2007

Song for Kiriko


Call me a sucker, but my good wife Kiriko recently asked me to write a poem for her. As I've been indulging in over-romantic flights of fancy inspired by Shane MacGowan recently it was only natural I superimposed myself onto his genius and rode it from there.


Song for Kiriko
(after Shane MacGowan)

I’ve been loving you a long time,
From Hampton Bays to Silvermine,
From weekends dancing, oceans roaring,
Knocked down and stripped in the sunshine.

The train came slowly, from the city,
We climbed the rooftop, for some fun,
Those days could never be repeated,
Those days can never be undone.

Across the platform, you were silent,
Across the platform, I was dumb,
Across the years I always waited,
Across the years you were the one.

Then giving up, in dreamless sleeping,
Then waking up, in dreamless days,
Then passing through, I chanced to see you,
Then passing through, I chanced to stay.

One drunken night before the ocean,
We hid together in that room,
Till nothing left but naked moonlight,
Till nothing left, I stole moon.

Forget your sorrow, take my hands, babe,
Forget the past, it’s gone and died.
Put your arms, around my waist, babe,
And hold me close, and be my bride.

No comments: