Monday, October 15, 2007

Give me liberation, or give me death


Not long after college I lived in a house with my friend Rich. We had the basement and a group of inconsequential, Long Island ‘party girls’ lived upstairs from us. One day I had an idea in my head. I’d been thinking about how much energy I had, and how overwhelming it was becoming … I just couldn’t use it all up.
When I came home from work there were no cars in the driveway, which meant there was nobody home. I decided to make an audio piece. I took a cardboard box and a broken pane of glass I had, pressed ‘record’ on the cassette deck and smashed the glass in the box with a hammer; making violent, tinkling noises; then I screamed “I have an incredible … amount of … energy”.
I then heard something like muffled distress coming from upstairs. Seems someone was home after all, and my little project, sadly, was over. I just couldn’t continue knowing someone outside myself was somehow involved.

I took all day to muscle up the balls to start drawing today. To step away from all the dull humans that somehow own a part of me took all day. It took till I was too impatient, too bored, too urgent.

What a drag. I must start being more free.

No comments: