Thursday, January 31, 2008

Good goddamn if it isn’t cold


Every year around Chinese New Year Hong Kong gets really cold, but it only happens about twice during the winter and lasts around 3 days. A few old people die because they’re not prepared, and the rest of the population dresses up in their most wintery outfits, which is a lot of fun. None of the regular people have heating in their house – this is the 7th place I’ve lived in here, and it is the first place that has hot water (apart from the shower). This year is extreme though, even under my Hello Kitty fleece blanket plus my 'white cloud' feather down duvet, it is still cold. It is kind of fun, actually, and I like to dress up in hats and scarves, but being part English, I thought I had to mention the weather.

---------------
Baby and I have reached new levels of unreality, thanks to the wonders of Nintendo DS Lite and the game “Dōbutsu no Mori (どうぶつの森)”, or “Animal Crossing”. I now have my own town called “Domville”, and she lives in “Harvdom”. Even when we are in separate countries we can visit each other if we’re near a wifi connection. Our conversations weave in and out of real life and virtual life. Part of me is adding value to my imagined existence, and the other is starting to think that conventional existence is more hollow than it is made out to be.
Or maybe that’s just me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you not have hot water in your shower???

I'd like to put in a request for a self portrait drawing of you in multiple layers of hats and scarves among your blankets. Do you take requests?

You should talk to Dar about all that simulated reality stuff. It scares me.

domboy said...

I'll give it a whirlygig.
Yeah, I remember Darlene was full of make-believe. She's the only person I know who can cry on demand - real, silent tears rolling down her cheeks. It's truly enviable.

Anonymous said...

Ha! But wait! I can do that! Look: I'm crying right now.

Whiskeymarie said...

I was just reading about how cold things have been in your part of the world.
Welcome to winter.