Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The slow train to Tahiti

Can’t sleep. It’s been another productive, perfectly coordinated day (the worst kind). Had to get up and draw … spend a little time with myself. I’m seven small inches away from doing a Gauguin – quitting the bank and going to a small tropical island to unearth my soul in purely sensual pursuits. I think I’d take Baby with me though. And I don’t work at a bank.

I used to amuse myself and exasperate my history of art teacher by saying “I could do that” every time he showed us Gauguin. One day he handed me a sketchbook and some colours and said “Okay, so go and do it.”

That was the 2nd best lesson I ever received.

5 comments:

Shannon Erin said...

What an awesome lesson to have been taught.

Shannon Erin said...

Is there an artist who chucked it all and moved to a small farm? Because I want to pull one of those.

domboy said...

Good idea. Get a really old one, then you and Marty can move in when they kick the bucket.

Extra Gravy said...

What was the firt best lesson you ever received?

domboy said...

the best lesson I ever had was "destruction": http://dominicharvey.blogspot.com/2008/06/creastruction.html