Sunday, November 18, 2007

Andy Warhol created me

Thursday, April 20, 1979
Had to go to the memorial service for Ambassador Hoveyda’s brother who was executed in Iran. Cabbed to Riverside Drive ($2.50). Everybody was there. We took our shoes off. There was a rug in the middle of the floor and no one wanted to step on it because it was like stepping on the body because there wasn’t a body there. There was Iranian music. It was like the best cocktail party but with no drinks.
Steve Rubell’s suing Ron Galella, I read in the papers – for starting a fight at Studio 54, he says. And I’m invited to Ron Galella’s wedding on Saturday. I think I’ll go.
- The Andy Warhol Diaries

I read a couple of pages of Andy Warhol’s diaries every night recently. I can’t explain why I love Andy Warhol. No one who likes him can explain why. I think Truman Capote described him as “A sphinx without a secret.”
This world wouldn’t be the same if he hadn’t existed, and I don’t think I would exist as I do now without him.

------------------

Mr Thriller has been on high alert for the last few days. All this clean living and lucidity is starting to get to him. I was in the bookstore getting ideas for our 2008 calendar and all the great ideas were getting me all riled up. When someone with strong perfume passed by I almost broke down from some kind of deviant inability to contain all the pleasing input. It’s a good thing Mrs Wrongdesign wasn’t there, or I may have thrown her down between the aisles. Come to think of it, it’s too bad she wasn’t there - I kind of like the sound of that.

No comments: