Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Forget the oxygen


This weekend, an eight year old girl opened her conversation to me with, “Do you know how it is that most of us are probably going to die eventually?”
“Well, probably, I guess so.”
She went on to say she’d like to go by a manta ray encounter, Steve Irwin style.
I’d like to go out like Chopin – “Forget the oxygen, get the champagne!”
And I’d like my memorial plaque to read the last line of Ruggero Leoncavallo’s “Pagliacci” – “La commedia e finite.”

----------------------------

I have about a week left of being a recovering alcoholic and I’m thinking of going the whole hog – extending it to the full 40 days and 40 nights. I don’t miss all that poison, but I do miss the reckless self-destruction. I survived another party this weekend, this one at a bar – no big deal. The tough one will be tomorrow when I fly 16 hours to New York. Sitting with nothing to do, while beautiful girls bring me food and wine.
My biggest problem, though, is that I’m becoming quite svelte – all lean and slinky. The cruel fat brought on by the gradual decaying of my aging body is slipping away. My clothes somehow look cooler and my gait wilder.
Maybe I need to stop drinking altogether … and start drugs.

7 comments:

Quink said...

If only she had said "Do you know how it is that most of us are probably going to die like Félix Faure?" That would have been impressive.

Mariposa said...

perhaps a greater aspiration might be to attain the demeanor of a svelte, wildly cool, brilliantly creative, insightfully self-aware gent without the aid of chemical alteration. too lofty? right. fuck it then.

Shannon Erin said...

I like the way you think, and the way you'd like to go out.

Whiskeymarie said...

Crap. Now I will have to quit boozing to get my old skinny self back.
You and your positive role-modeling...

Anonymous said...

OOOooooo, c'mere kitty! I LOVE THAT CAT!!!!! You're the best catmaker in .... New York!!!!! :)

Shannon Erin said...

I've cut my boozing down about 90% in the last few months. I feel great, but I haven't lost a single pound. I'm not sure I could cut it out altogether. Kudos to you for making it this far.

I typically hate the word "kudos" but I couldn't think of a better one. Congratulations seemed too much.

I'll stop rambling in your comments now.

domboy said...

Quilty, you know all the coolest people. Marguerite Steinheil sounds like my kind of wench. I forgot to mention - after I die, I hope to make it onto "Elegantly Dressed Wednesdays".

Mari, ah, now that would be a triumph - you've sown the seeds in the furtive mud of my mind.

Whiskey - it would be uncouth for me to comment on the seeming attractiveness of your body.

Pony, yeah! But don't forget Andy Warhol's "Pussy Heaven".

Shannon, that's interesting. I'm actually confused about this. It's only been about 6 weeks since the initial abstinence. Is that too soon to see a physical difference? Maybe I have some kind of super power, or disease. Or maybe I'm just lying to myself again.