Friday, January 25, 2008

The bounce back

All tonight’s pictures are unfinished or still too wet to scan. I’m visibly excited, I think it must be the influx of energy you get after you recover from a cold, combined with anger. This must be what Joan of Arc felt like. It reminds me of the happiest week of my life, when I was accidentally prescribed steroids in college.
Imagine waking up and literally hitting the ground running, going non-stop till you collapse for one hour of sleep, feeling your heart thudding inside your rib cage, which seems to be moments away from cracking wide open from the pressure. What a momentous week – drawings and paintings on every free spot in my room, I moved from one to another, letting them dry while I worked on others, day and night, breaking only for coffee and pills and laundry. By the end of the week I was sure I was going to die if I carried on. Fortunately the pills ran out and unfortunately life slowed down to it’s natural pace.
Reality, I always hated you.

---------------------------

Tonight’s soundtrack:
Radiohead: “Jigsaw Falling Into Place”
Radiohead: “Killer Cars (Mogadon Version)”
Ike Turner: “Jesus Loves Me”
Whiskeytown: “What The Devil Wanted”
Jerry Lee Lewis (with Buddy Guy): “Hadacohl Boogie”
... all over and over again, till i was ready to strangle something to death.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joan,

I'm glad you're feeling better. That steroid week you described, when was that? That describes the way I felt practically all 4 years of college.

Love,
PPPONY

PS. I'm still sick!

Anonymous said...

Diet Coke did that to me after 3 months of being 'on the wagon' from it. Made work a far more entertaining place. Glad you are better!

Whiskeymarie said...

I want whatever it is you were taking...

Whiskeymarie said...

I take that back. I like to have an excuse for my laziness.

domboy said...

Hey the Pony. Do you remember when they suggested I may have some kind of bug infection and I had to wash all my bed linen every day in high temperatures? And you got worried the whole house would need to be disinfected.
Russ - yes, I read that entry - pretty scary what such a universal part of our diet can actually do to a healthy body!
WM - I attribute it to healthy living and a positive attitude. Hahahahahaha, no seriouly, it was drugs.