Saturday, January 26, 2008

What the devil wanted


The second last time I was in Japan I spent a lot of time in my head formulating a story of a man who was delivering sake on the devil's orders. Over the course of his deliveries the man drank more and more of the sake, and cheated the people he was delivering to more and more to compensate for his lasciviousness, until he met the ultimate delivery recipient, who was the devil himself. Unable to cover up his cheating ways, the man was finally exposed, only to discover his actions were exactly what the devil wanted of him.

Ah, I love a happy ending.


One of my great friends is the BBC 6 Music radio DJ Chris Hawkins. Like most of my friends, he exists more in virtual reality than in old-style physical, tangible reality. We have had a minor scuffle recently over Ryan Adams. I am willing to put Ryan Adams up as one of the greatest living artists, next to Bob Dylan, myself and possibly Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Chris, on the other hand, hates him. Chris is violently mistaken, of course. As evidence, I offer some of the lyrics to Ryan Adams’ “What the Devil Wanted”:

My idle hands
They are but tools
Apply them well
And you will loose

It’s what the devil wanted
What the devil wanted from me

Put your lover to your chest
Put all your fears to rest
Forever, baby
Ah, ah
Forever, baby

All my time is wasteful now
All my time is wasteful now
All my time is wasteful now

Ah, ah, ah, baby

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm showing my ignorance with this comment... but hopefully a humorous, self deprecating one at that...

I always thought people were talking about Canadian rocker BRYAN Adams, who was big in the 80s. So every time someone (within the last 10 years) was talking about Ryan Adams and how great he was I would think to myself... "Jesus, where the hell have you been the last 20 years? He was famous years ago!"

domboy said...

Strangely, the first line in Wikipedia for Ryan Adams is "Not to be confused with Bryan Adams." Even more strangely, they share the same birthday (I think Shannon was the first to point that out, is that right?) I've had a few run-ins with people who think i adore Bryan Adams. Even more annoying, one of my best friends is called Bryan Adams, and he looks a lot like John Lennon. It's chaos I tell you!