Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I liked Ike


“I know regardless of what I've done, good and bad, it took it all to make me what I am today", Ike Turner

--------------------

I watched “A Streetcar Named Desire” on a plane recently. Even though I’ve seen it many times, it was still better than all the other movies available. Every time I encounter this play I progress a little bit. This time, for the first time, I felt pity for Blanche. Initially I was so taken by the beautiful, swaggering Stanley I had nothing but contempt for her. I never knew he raped her till I read the play. The first time I saw the movie after I read the play it seemed obvious, but this time I was again unsure if they actually implied this in the movie or not. Either way, what an amazing study of violence and the human condition. I’ve noticed recently that when I yell, I affect a Stanley Kowalski accent. I know it’s bad to romanticize such men, but when you’re surrounded by hollow people, it’s just so appealing to release yourself with abandon, regardless of what may or not be right or wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quit grabbin' ur pecker so much!

domboy said...

Josie! At last!
Once, in high school, I decided not to touch myself impurely for one month. I lasted just over two weeks. I still remember that slippery orgasm; it was fantastic.