Friday, September 21, 2007

A long, serious post (sorry)


Technomonk got me thinking. The “mental shift”, and the Buddhist idea that change comes from within. I grappled with this dilemma a while ago – the question of if we should actively try to change the world or not.
The idea was that if you try to instill your own truths on other people, then it is a similar thing as manipulating them, which has the same root as the corruption that has been fucking up the human race since the human race started (presumably everyone who campaigns their own truths believe them to be superior to everyone else's, and presumably all such people aren't going to be compatible, so most, or all, are going to be self-deceived).
The general Buddhist doctrine is that you shouldn’t try to change anything outside yourself, but should instead focus only on yourself, and as you proceed towards enlightenment, the world around you will follow. It may be slow and indirect, but it is the only untainted path, and the only one that can reach the true destination.
This makes perfect sense, but I always had a problem with it because it allows for entire generations to be fucked while the winds of change are gently being mustered. While I’m smiling at strangers and conserving electricity some cunt is making a quick buck at the expense of someone who doesn’t know better. This cunt will live a prosperous life and by the time the meek have inherited the earth he’ll be long dead and giggling uncontrollably in hell.
Case in point: US Vice President Dick Cheney. Even if he died a torturous death tonight, I think the life-long rewards would outweigh one uncomfortable evening facing the consequences of his corrupt existence.
I was chatting to a guy once. He was chatting about how he’d lived his childhood being sexually abused by his father, then he’d lived his young adulthood with this all blocked from his mind, then how he’d faced it and how it had torn his soul from himself, and I always remember how he said it wasn’t worth it; how he wished he’d lived his whole life in ignorance, because it was an insurmountable hell to face it. Anyway, I was unusually sober and lucid during the conversation, and he was provocatively articulate and profound, so I asked him about the above dilemma, and he said, “We are all involved”.
His point was, you can’t be inactive. Whether you like it or not, you are part of the runaway train that is humanity, and to have beliefs is not enough. If you sit back and let things happen then you are tantamount to condoning them, and to imagine that you are somehow exempt from contributing is just a façade of weakness and disinterest and subjection.
I don’t see any difference between Mother Theresa and Hitler. They both had Nietzsche’s “will to power”.
I guess what I’m trying to say is: everyone should be just like me. I should be King, and if you disagree I will have you lined up and shot.
No, wait, fuck, I almost had the answer, but I fucked it up again…

------------------------

This is a lithograph of Ekaterina Maximova, pupil of Galina Ulanova. After I made this, I didn’t care if I never made another lithograph, I loved it so much.

4 comments:

Mariposa said...

First, your lithograph is - well - I don't have the vocabulary to do it justice.

I have always liked the quote by, I believe, Edmund Burke (I may have just billboarded my ignorance), "All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing." But if we each decide our own morals or definitions of "good" and "evil", aren't we then just continually cancelling one another out?

Shannon Erin said...

Something I've observed over the last few years...

I've made more of a difference in people's lives by setting an example with my actions than I ever have by actively trying to convince them with words. I hope that makes sense. I now understand why the Buddhists believe that change comes from within.

Anonymous said...

First of all, Cheney is an a-hole.

Also, there is engaged Buddhism (Thich Nhat Hanh) that says we start within AND work for peace. We can do both. I don't think the effects are that slow either. If everyone started doing what Shannon Erin is saying (taking care of her side of the street, being an example), today, I think we'd see immediate change. But that is a pretty tall order, I know.

I love the lithograph. I hope you made more. Can't wait to see you.

xo,
ML

domboy said...

Mariposa - exactly right, it's just eternal conflict if each person think's they're right.
Shannon and Anarchy Pony are also right - truth can't be enforced, that immediately makes it null and void.
Maybe it's the human in me - I still want to hold a gun to the world's head and insist it follows me. You guys make sense though, I must, maybe, progress...