Monday, September 24, 2007

Plain gold ring


I bought my wedding ring before I went to the UK (are you supposed to buy your own wedding ring?). Despite my penchant for dressing up and putting on make-up, I’ve never had much interest in jewelry, and I was really having trouble finding a ring I liked, until I saw this baby. It’s a Cartier, white gold Tank Francaise ring and I adore it. It’s a little bulky, with an etched pattern separating it into 3 rings. The center ring is also etched and alternately polished and matt. The outer rings have triangular knicks cut out of them.
My good wife told me I’d have chicks all over me if I wore a wedding ring, because they are attracted to settled men, but so far no one has shown any interest.
One thing I’ve discovered is that it is uncomfortable to applaud. The ring bashes into the lower joint of my index finger on the opposite hand. More interestingly, though, is I have discovered I applaud all the time. Before, if you asked me how often I clap, I’d probably say about twice a year, but now that it is a little painful I realize that I’m clapping all the time – more like twice a day. I guess I’m just an enthusiastic kind of guy.
So much of my life is automated. I honestly can’t remember any of the toilets and showers in any of the places I’ve lived – I think I just use them mechanically. It’s nice to have a reminder of yourself instead of going about your daily life oblivious – like when you touch jalapeno peppers then pee, and your penis stings for ages.

7 comments:

Quink said...

Wear a signet ring instead.

Whiskeymarie said...

I often forget about my ring, until I catch it on something or take it off to dry my hands.
You'll get used to wearing it- it took me a while but now it feels strange to not wear it.

Extra Gravy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Extra Gravy said...

Hot wings pose a similar danger.

domboy said...

I hope I don't get used to my ring (somehow, I never got used to my refrigerator - it still amazes me).

Thanks for the head's up, TM! (Get it, "Head's up", ha ha ha hah aahaha haha.)

Mariposa said...

I love this thought. A "reminder of yourself". Really lovely.

I don't have a wedding ring. Maybe this is my problem?

Mariposa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.