Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Handsome man's burden


We have a new security guy downstairs. A couple of weeks ago, while I was waiting for the elevator, he said I was handsome. What do you say in this situation? You can say “Yes I am” – I used to do this, but people think you’re a dick so I stopped. You can say “No, I’m not” in a humble way, but that just sounds like you’re way above it all. I tried the jokey response, and called him crazy in Cantonese. This is a very common, casual expression, but his face dropped and he told me I shouldn’t say that and I should speak in English. Since then every time I see him I smile and every time he turns his face to the desk and puts on an insulted expression. I need to confront him; I can’t stand this miserable, bitter, hurt man anymore.
I’m not even that handsome, maybe he really is crazy.

4 comments:

Mariposa said...

Yes, it's rough being attractive.

Hmmm . . . what about, "that is very kind of you." Not dickish, not outrightly humble, not insulting, not Cantonese. Perfection, no?!

Whiskeymarie said...

What mariposa said, you handsome devil.

Shannon Erin said...

When someone pays me a compliment, I usually respond with "thank you." Seems to work fine, and I don't run the risk of insulting anyone. You should conversate with the man - perhaps not confront him. :)

domboy said...

Wow, you guys are great, it’s just like having real friends (I imagine). You’re right, this is how wars start – tit-for-tat, then before you know it the security TV screens and mailboxes of Central Mansion are covered in blood. I’m going to continue to be friendly, I will initiate conversation, and I will be thankful next time a stranger says I’m handsome (said with quiet longing).