Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I thought France was cool


I'm confused again. For a long time I’ve had a fun policy not to buy products produced in countries that are part of the ‘coalition of the willing’. So, if there are 2 types of butter, and one is from Australia, and one is from France, I’ll buy the French one. Ha ha ha, take that, Australia! But yesterday France announced that they’d consider war on Iran if they produced nuclear weapons. I don’t get it. The US has nuclear weapons, don’t they? They can argue that Iran is not trustworthy, but the US invaded Iraq on clearly false pretenses causing the needless deaths of tens of thousands of people. This isn’t a secret, right? I’m not deranged, making up far-fetched conspiracy theories. Am I?
Let Iran build their nuclear power plants, and let them make bombs too if they like, no need to keep them secret. The West forfeited the right to demand anything years ago.

Oh, and rock on the protesting monks in Myanmar. When I was a kid I was always ashamed I lived in a time when apartheid was legal, and all I did was talk about how I didn’t like it. I feel the same about Myanmar – so clearly a despicable system, and all I’ve ever done is say I don’t like it. It’s just as bad as praying and thinking you are helping somehow.

3 comments:

Extra Gravy said...

Voicing your disapproval is not effective in a major way, I agree, but it is more effective than praying. Keep it up, it changes minds, and minds make the decisions that can solve or cause these kinds of problems...

I can't go back and change the blunders of my political leaders but I write and speak and persuade and be part of the mental shift that will take back the spirit and will of my country!

:-) Thanks for the post.

Mariposa said...

You are perfectly lucid and sane, as far as I can tell.
I'm so glad technomonk found you. I knew he would appreciate you.

domboy said...

Thanks! I feel empowered now. Let's fix the world, it'll be fun.