Thursday, September 20, 2007

Train of thought, or, Coming on a train


I got sexually excited in public today. I was reading Yukio Mishima’s “Spring Snow” on the train into Shenzhen, one of the few opportunities I have to sit down and read. It was the passage where Kiyoaki looses his virginity with Satoko.
Mishima is an amazing writer. I have memories of things I experienced through his characters that are as clear and real as my own memories. He’s not a comfortable, casual read. If you let your mind wander you waste your time. He commands your attention and expects you to be involved.
Anyway, I always wanted to do it on a tram; and public places like museums and libraries and shopping centres make excited. All those people passing through, that murmur of language, all those souls, make me want to throw someone down on the floor. But not in public, not with people watching. I didn’t like it today, absorbed in the unfolding of Satoko’s kimono, her thighs, her hair … and the really large man sitting next to me pressing against the side of my leg and back. Kiyoaki’s half-naked body and the rain beating on the roof of the annex … and the stranger clearing his throat next to me, making me check if the swelling in my jeans was visible or not.
It was weird, it grated against my sensibility, but I don’t regret it, I won’t forget it. I just regret the person next to me wasn't more desireable.

5 comments:

Extra Gravy said...

Bold post.

Whiskeymarie said...

Great post.
I agree with Mishima not being a comfortable, casual read. It absorbs you, and makes you read. every. word.

Fantastic.

Mariposa said...

". . . that murmur of language, all those souls . . ."
I feel odd for finding this very beautiful.

Shannon Erin said...

I've never read Mishima, but I think I need to now. I also love that drawing. I've been looking for something like that to hang over my bed, and have been having a hard time of it.

domboy said...

Hey 'See Glass Run'. Just tell me the size you need and where to send it to. It's be nice to do something for someone else every now and then.