Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bear with me

Like a lot of people who are about to get married, I’ve had my photo taken a lot recently. I’ve been Japanese, I’ve been Chinese, I’ve been a soldier (my favorite) and I’ve been an angel. All this photo taking has reminded me of what a genius I am. I’ve had my head tilted, my hair fixed and my lighting adjusted, but I can’t smile for shit. When I smile I look like a really badly crafted wax dummy. My apologies to my good wife for ruining a lot of photos which would have looked amazing if they had been her alone. In contrast, when I take photos, the lighting sucks, the positions are not thought-out, but the sitters are slowly coaxed into shining, and smiling, no matter how uncomfortable they are when we start. I can adjust the white balance in Photoshop later, this is merely a technicality. So, I’ve been encouraged to smile more. This is me trying to smile. It took a while, but I finally realized what it reminds me of – it’s the same look that husky had in it’s eyes right before it attacked me – kind of glazed over – slightly lost and confused, slightly possessed. Pretty scary.

2 comments:

Quink said...

I can't smile for photos. It makes my face look like a rubberised mask.

That drawing on the other hand is a fine drawing and I'm sure you'd have executed it with the frayed end of a rope, were that the only nib you had to hand.

domboy said...

My friend Justin once 'drew' a picture out of cum he spewed onto a mirror. I thought of this tonight after I drew (next post) and it all fit with your comment above. It's nothing to do with how we look, it's all about how we manipulate ourselves.