Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Proselytizer Blues


I read an article in Time today that had a reference to the 22, once 23, Korean hostages in Afghanistan as “camcorder missionaries” – groups that go off on sponsored trips to raise the profile, and raise the income, of their local church group; with no real purpose other than private gain and the obstinate force of unfounded pride. The venomous spite welled up inside me. Don’t get me wrong, I hate Muslim zealots as much as I hate Christian ones, but when push comes to shove I’ll usually side with the resistor rather than the aggressor.
If those idiots make it back to Korea they’ll undoubtedly be hardened Christians and gain a big following of other idiots, and the whole thing will perpetuate – a magazine cover here, a huge donation there, and before you know it they’ll have statues of themselves with halos and poems about martyrdom. At this point, I just don’t care if they live or die. I really just don’t care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Was this painting hanging at Dellaria???? I recognize!

ML

domboy said...

Ha, idiot that I am - I was thinking "Is the Dellaria a museum in Europe?". As if anything I'd done has ever been in a museum. Yes, it was in our beloved red house. I painted it in my room with one hand on the door of the washing machine closet.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say the red house wasn't a museum. I miss that place, I've driven past it many many times. Anyway, this painting sticks in my memory, always haunted me. I thought you must have thought you were Jesus. (Jesus Holding Washing Machine Closet)

ML

domboy said...

After a few nights not being able to sleep, thinking the painting was 'staring at me', I got up one night and re-painted the face. I always wondered if I was being melodramatic or if I'd really changed the course of history somehow. I called it "Crucify Me", after the Bob Geldof song. I guess that answers the melodrama question.